Victim Rights

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Your Rights as the Victim of a Violent Crime

We are sorry to learn that you have been a victim of a crime. We want you to know that we have resources in the Tenth Judicial District Attorney’s Office to help you cope with the crime and to inform you about court proceedings against the person(s) who committed a crime against you.

Below is an outline of the rights that you have as a victim, the services we provide or can direct you to, and what you can do at different stages of the court case. We hope you find this information helpful and encourage you to call our office at (719) 583-6030 if you need our help.

J.E. Chostner
District Attorney

What crimes qualify for those rights?
What are my rights as a victim?
What assistance can I get from the District Attorney's Office?
Who else can I call for help?
Who can I talk to about the case?
What should I do if I get new information?
What happens after the defendant is sentenced?
What can I do if I feel my rights have not been honored?

What crimes qualify for those rights?

Assault; Careless Driving Resulting in Death; Child Abuse; Crimes Against an At-Risk Adult/Juvenile; Criminally Negligent Homicide; Crimes involving Domestic Violence; Ethnic Intimidation; First Degree Burglary; Hit and Run Resulting in Death; Human Trafficking; Incest; Indecent Exposure; Intimidation of a Witness/Victim; Invasion of Privacey for Sexual Gratification; Kidnapping; Manslaughter; Menacing; Murder; Retaliation Against a Victim/Witness  or Judge/Juror; Robbery; Sexual Assault on an Adult or Child; Sexual Exploitation of Children; Stalking; Tampering with a Witness/Victim; Vehicular Assault; Vehicular Homicide; Violation of a Protection Order (if charged with Sexual Assault crime); or any attempt, conspiracy, solicitation or accessory to the listed crimes.



What are my rights as a victim?

  • To be treated with fairness, respect, and dignity
  • To have a swift and fair resolution of your case
  • To be informed of and present for critical stages of the criminal justice process
  • To be present and heard in court regarding any bond reduction, continuance, negotiated plea, case disposition or sentencing
  • To have a safe place to wait before court, to talk with the Deputy District Attorney before the case is resolved and to be informed of how it is resolved
  • To prepare a Victim Impact Statement if the case is a felony and to be present and to be heard at sentencing
  • To be informed of the status of the case and any scheduling changes or cancellations if known in advance
  • To be informed what steps can be taken if you or a witness is harassed or intimidated
  • To have restitution ordered
  • To pursue a civil judgment against anyone who has committed a crime against you
  • To be informed, if requested, of post-conviction release or modification hearings, transfer to less secure facility or escape
  • To get your property back quickly when no longer needed for prosecution
  • To be informed about financial assistance, community service and other resources
  • To be provided with appropriate employer intercession services regarding court appearances and meetings with criminal justice officials
  • To be informed of the process of enforcing compliance with these rights


What assistance can I get from the District Attorney's Office?

Victim Assistant Specialists:

  • Follow-up support for the victim and/or the victim’s family is available through the Victim Assistance Unit at the District Attorney’s Office. A victim assistant can assist you with any questions you may have about the court process, provide you with updates on the status of your case and accompany you to court.
  • Special services for child victims, elderly victims or victims who are persons with disabilities are also available. Please call (719) 583-6030 for assistance.
  • Victim Assistance Specialists provide community resource referrals for: counseling, legal aid services, probation, social services, shelter, transportation, assistance with creditors, translation services, child care services during court proceedings (not always available) and other support services.

Financial Assistance:

You may qualify for assistance through the Victim Compensation Program for certain expenses such as medical expenses, lost wages, mental health therapy, funeral/burial costs and in some cases, broken windows or door locks.


Who else can I call for help?


Emergency  911
Pueblo Police Department 553-2538
Pueblo Sheriff’s Department 583-6125
YWCA Family Crisis Shelter  545-8195
Parkview Hospital 584-4000
St. Mary Corwin Hospital 560-4000
District Attorney 583-6030
Pueblo Rape Crisis Services 544-1191
ACOVA 553-2460
Pueblo Child Advocacy 583-6332
Colorado Legal Aid Services 545-6708


Who can I talk to about the case?

Officers and detectives from the law enforcement agency will be investigating the case as well as the District Attorney’s Office. Ask for identification so you know with whom you are speaking. These people will always identify themselves by the department name.

The defendant’s attorney or investigator may also contact you about the case. This is their right and it is appropriate for them to do so. The investigator may be from the Public Defender’s Office or may be working with a private attorney. Always ask for identification. You have the right to speak with the person, not to speak with the person or speak with the person with someone from the District Attorney’s Office present.

We encourage witnesses to be cooperative with all parties to the case and the District Attorney’s Office will be happy to assist you at your request.


What should I do if I get new information?

You may call the orginating law enforcement agency or an Investigator at the District Attorney’s Office.


What happens after the defendant is sentenced?

After conviction of a defendant or adjudication of a juvenile charged with a violent crime and UPON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST, our state and local correctional authorities will notify you of information regarding the defendant’s incarceration, including where the defendant is incarcerated, the projected release date, scheduled parole hearing and any escape of the defendant.

If the defendant in your case is sentenced, you have the right to request notification from the corresponding agency at the following address: (If you are not sure where to send the request, please contact the assigned Victim Advocate.

DOC Victim Notification Program
2862 South Circle Drive
Colorado Springs, CO  80906
(800) 886-7688 or (719) 226-4709
Pueblo County Jail
Victim Information Notification Everyday (VINE)
(888) 263-8463
Probation (Opt-in)
10th Judicial Probation Dept.
1120 Court Street
Pueblo, CO  81003
(719) 253-5618
Division of Youth Corrections (DYC)
Victim Noticiation Program
4255 S. Knox Court
Denver, CO  80236
(303) 866-7852


What can I do if I feel my rights have not been honored?

Colorado law provides that victims may enforce compliance with the provisions of the Victims Rights Constitutional Amendment by notifying first the local District Attorney’s Office, and if not satisfied there, contacting the State office that oversees victims’ rights. At the District Attorney’s Office, you can talk with the Victim Assistance Coordinator at (719) 583-6092. If still not satisfied, please contact:

Division of Criminal Justice
Office for Victims’ Programs
700 Kipling Street, Suite 1000
Denver, CO 80215

Phone (303) 239-4497
FAX (303) 239-4491

In order to help you, we need to know where you are. If you are a victim working with our victim advocates, please keep the District Attorney’s Office informed of your current address and phone number at all times.